Tuesday, February 22, 2022

What's in a Name?

If names have monetary value, I would have been one of those rich kids these days. I've been called so many names. Most names are related to how I look physically. While some complain about being chubby or fat, I was having that thing called "skinny" problems. People are complicated. When you're fat, you get a name. When you're skinny, you also get a name. And usually, these are not pleasing names. I guess everybody just have to live with it and just move on from it.


From George Martin's book, Game of Thrones, Tyrion Lannister quoted, 

Wear your weakness like an armor so nobody can use it against you. That way, it becomes your strength.

Growing up, I somehow managed to survive all the skinny-shaming. It hurts sometimes being assumed as a weakling but in the some way, it also became an encouragement to prove them wrong. But there's always that one loophole people see and somehow turns it into something funny, weird and way wrong from what you intend. When I started to act tough and fearless, people then started calling me boy names, thinking that I'm not straight. What is it with people? They call me names for being skinny and weakling, and when I try to tough it out, suddenly it means I've become a lesbian. Lol. There's no escaping names.

What I realized is that there's no point trying to prove people wrong or trying to please them. When the beating gets fast, you're not required to move fast with it. I'm not required to prove them wrong. I don't have to prove anything to them. I can just stop and move with my own pace. People will be people and no matter how many names they'll give, those who know the real you will be only you, your family, those who love you, and above all, only God.

Those facebook apps that say they know the meaning of one's name can never describe the very core of YOU. You are more than how many letters or syllables your name consists

People still call me names. I let it pass. I even laugh at it. And in some occasions, I even suggest them something new. Redundant names get boring sometimes, you know. There's no point in trying to defend yourself from those whose ears are closed. As what the saying goes, those who matters doesn't mind, and those who mind doesn't matter. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment